UNHCR / AAKS/ DESIGN FOR PEACE
DESIGN ASSISTANT INTERNSHIP
February through July 2017
Ghana and Burkina Faso
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and Akosua Afriyie-Kumi (AAKS) are looking for a Design Assistant Intern to join our team. The Design Assistant will assist with design, research, technical drawings and creating three-dimensional prototypes of a home interior product with artisanal groups in Burkina Faso. He or She will work closely with the creative director of AAKS in Ghana through the conception of the design project and later travel to Burkina Faso to work on handmade home interior prototypes with artisanal groups on a unique project set by the UNHCR.
He/She will gain an invaluable experience of working in a small international design company in two different countries while learning about the fields of design, production and international development.
• Textile/ Fashion Student or Graduate
• Knowledge of contemporary fashion design, trends, basketry, embroidery and hand made products.
• Efficiency in conception of design project to its manifestation
• Knowledge and interest in Africa, women’s empowerment and artisans.
• High-energy team player with a willingness to pitch in wherever needed
• Strong organisational skills and attention-to-detail
• Quick learner and problem-solver
• Crafty-ness a big plus!
• French proficiency
• Ability to adapt to new cultures and simple living conditions
• Computer skills Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (Highly recommended)
Design and research into key trends and ideas
Assist in specification drawings
Work alongside artisans to develop design prototypes in Burkina Faso
Dates: February through July 2017
PAID 6 Months Internship
Application Instructions: To apply, please email email@example.com with: (a) name of specific internship in the subject line (b) your CV, (c) a thoughtful cover letter.